TOGA (Teens of Gleason Advisors)
January 11th, 2008
January 11th, 2008
In attendance: Spencer, Ryan, Matt P., Sam, Matthew H., Amelia, Katherine, Connor,
Elizabeth, Meg, Susannah, and Erica (TOGA facilitator and Teen Librarian)
Generating Ideas on Renovating the Library's Teen Section
- Should be divided into two sections: one with comfy chairs (quiet), and one with tables (group work/ chatting area)
- Furniture suggestions: butterfly chairs, better tables (longer, with more room to
spread out books/homework), huge wraparound couch with table in the middle
- Make better use of the window seat
- The teen section needs to look different from the rest of the library, and feel like a
more defined space. Way to do that: livelier paint colors (blues and greens?).
- Because it is difficult for people to know where the library?s teen section is, there
should be signs pointing it out, in the section, and downstairs.
- Group voted on putting a suggestion box in the teen section, where anyone can offer
ideas about renovating the space, as well as book suggestions. A box will be placed
there. Depending on its success, a similar suggestion box may be placed in the school
library, as well.
- To be held in March/April/May
- Based upon ideas generated at the previous meeting, Erica has begun looking into
bringing someone to the library to run a DDR Tournament. The group was split over
whether or not they?d want DDR or Guitar Hero. Much debate ensued. Rather than put it
to a vote, TOGA opted to decide this via ballot box. Erica is now working to see if an
event with both would be feasible.
- No matter what the event is, want to make sure that it is successful (high attendance),
has lots of supplemental activities (not board games!), and is fun.
New Books in the collection
- Everyone would like to see some new books in the teen collection. Erica
stated that new books are always coming into the collection, and that she is
open to suggestions.
- Suggestion box will go in the teen section.
- TOGA decided to uphold its contract, and not allow open meetings (and new
members) until well after the next event.
- Exception: Katherine and Elizabeth?s friend, Sadina, who it is believed will
make a positive contribution to the group, was voted in.
- Tuesday, January 29th, from 3:00pm to 4:30pm
As you can see, we actually did get so much accomplished! I look forward to seeing you all at the next meeting in a few weeks.